Canada Visa Express

Federal Skilled Worker

For assistance, contact us.

The Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program is for people who are selected to immigrate to Canada because of their work experience and skills.

As of January, 1, 2015 candidates for the Federal Skilled Worker Program will be selected to apply through the Express Entry System. If you have applied before January 1, 2015, your application will be considered according to the former system.

To qualify:

  • At least secondary level;
  • Proof of language proficiency;
  • 1 continuous year of full-time or equivalent part-time work experience;
  • Proof of funds;
  • Score a minimum of 67 out of 100 points on the six selection factors.

Prospective Applicants must obtain 67 points* to qualify for the Federal Skilled Worker Program. Points are assigned in accordance with six factors:

Education (maximum 25 points) - the highest level of education attained and the total number of years of education.

Language Ability (maximum 24+4 points) - the applicant's ability to speak, listen, write and read in either one or both of Canada's official languages - French or English. Please note that if the applicant claims points under the language factor, proof of language proficiency must be provided. Proficiency in a second official language is worth an additional 4 points.

Work Experience (maximum 15 points) - number of years of full-time or equivalent paid work experience in a high skilled position.

Age (maximum 12 points) - the current age of the applicant, with the most points being awarded to applicants between 21 and 49 years of age.

Arranged Employment in Canada (maximum 10 points) - Either a permanent job offer in Canada for which the applicant is qualified or the applicant is currently employed in Canada and holds a work permit that is valid for at least 12 months.

Adaptability (maximum 10 points) - the applicant may be awarded points for this factor if they can show that they, their spouse or common-law partner, or their dependents will adapt easily to life in Canada. Examples include education in Canada, arranged employment in Canada and family members who are Canadian Permanent Residents or Citizens.