Canada Visa Express

Study Permit Application

For assistance, contact us.

If you intend to study at a Canadian educational institution, most foreign nationals must apply for a study permit. A study permit, once issued, allows a foreign national to study in Canada at an approved institute for the duration of the specified course or program.

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) may also be required if the student is a citizen of a country from which Temporary Resident Visas are required for entry into Canada. A Temporary Resident Visa is not required for citizens of visa exempt countries.


A Study Permit is usually valid for the length of the educational program and 90 days more. This extra time is enough to prepare a student to leave Canada or apply to extend the stay. It is possible to prolong the stay as a student if the course hasn't been finished before the date on the permit. Although, if the course ends before the expected time, the license will stop being valid 90 days after the studies are completed (no matter what day is printed on the Study Permit). The studies are considered complete either on the date that the first notification arrives from the school (such as an email, letter, transcript, etc.) or when the degree, diploma or certificate is issued.

Processing Time

The processing time depends on the country of residence, but it usually takes 6 weeks.

Education as a pathway to Canadian permanent residence.

A Canadian post-secondary education is not only valuable from an educational and career point of view - it is also a popular route to Canadian permanent residence. Once a student successfully finishes his/her program, the student can apply for work permit and eventually apply for permanent residency.

Benefits of Study Permit

Work While Studying

While studying in Canada, international students in Canada may work for up to 20 hours per week while in school, and on a full-time basis during school breaks.

  • On campus without a Work Permit;
  • Off campus with a Work Permit;
  • In Co-op and Internship Programs, where work experience is part of the curriculum, with a Work Permit.
Obtain Work Permit After the Program

International students may obtain a Post-Graduation Work Permit for the equivalent duration of the studies once the program is successfully completed, allowing students to remain in Canada until they become eligible for permanent residence.

Bring Accompanying Spouse/Common-Law Partner and Minor Children

International student may bring an accompanying spouse or common-law partner to Canada on an open work permit, allowing him or her to work for any employer. They may also bring accompanying minor children to study in Canada at the same rate that Canadians pay.

Become a Permanent Resident

International students may become eligible for Canadian permanent residence, either through a Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), through Quebec's immigration system, or through the Express Entry immigration selection system.