Canada Visa Express

Work Permits for the Spouse of an International Students and Foreign Workers

For assistance, contact us.

International students and foreign workers are in most cases entitled to have their spouse accompany them. Their spouse will be entitled to an open work or study permit, allowing them to work for any Canadian employer or study at any Canadian educational institution. These types of work permits do not require a job offer - the spouse will qualify for it based on the principal applicant's study or work permit.

Spouses and common-law partners of certain international students who are currently studying or working in Canada qualify. This exemption applies to spouses who are not themselves enrolled in full-time studies and spouses and common-law partners of certain skilled foreign workers.

Foreign workers in the province of British Columbia are entitled to have their working age (18-22 years old) children and their spouse accompany them on an open work permit in Canada.

Foreign workers in Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia are entitled to have their dependent children accompany them to Canada on an open work permit.